All Middle School and High School Band Directors are invited to join members of the Eastern Division of the College Band Directors National Association conference at the United States Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut on Friday March 11, 2016. Sessions for Junior High and High School directors include the following:
• STAYING MUSICALLY ALIVE IN THE PROFESSION – a panel discussion led by Rob Fransblau and including panelists Mark Scatterday (Eastman), Frank Ticheli (USC), Frank Battisti (Emeritus from NEC), Eric Rombach Kendall (University of New Mexico), Adam Williamson (Commander of the United States Coast Guard Band), Emily Threinen (Temple University).
• REHEARSAL TECHNIQUES with Eric Rombach-Kendall and Frank Ticheli. The laboratory band for this clinic is the Greater Hartford Youth Wind Ensemble, which is comprised of 85 talented high school students from the greater Hartford area that is conducted by Glen Adsit, Director of Bands at the Hartt School. Eric and Frank will discuss and demonstrate various rehearsal techniques addressing common issues like tone production and development, rhythmic development, etc.
• All directors will have a lunch provided at the Coast Guard Academy where Frank Ticheli will give a talk and answer questions during the luncheon.
• NEW MUSIC READING SESSION with the Greater Hartford Youth Wind Ensemble led by Glen Adsit and John Hart of the Hartt School. This session will present new high quality junior high and high school literature in addition to older repertoire that has unjustly fallen out of performance.
• Late afternoon and evening sessions include performances by the Crane School of Music Wind Ensemble led by Brian Doyle, the Rutgers Wind Ensemble led by Kraig Williams and the Hartt Wind Ensemble led by Glen Adsit and James Jackson.
This is an incredible opportunity to hear sessions and performances by some of the finest band directors in our country. Registration for the event is $40 for all Middle School and High School Directors and certificates of professional development will be issued as proof of attendance for those of you that may need professional development and can apply this conference toward meeting that PD requirement. Registration and complete information can be found by following the link below and selecting “view details” under Non,CBDNA Member/High School or Middle School Director.
Register Here via Hartt School of Music
HOTEL RESERVATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE The conference hotel is the Holiday Inn in New London, Connecticut and is located less than 2 miles from theUS Coast Guard Academy and one block from all of the downtown restaurants. The conference rate is $109 per night, which is a significant discount from their normal rate. The address is 35 Governor Winthrop Blvd, New London, CT 06320. You can reserve rooms any of the following ways:
1. Online at the Holiday Inn website using the group block code: CBD
2. Calling the hotel directly (860,443,7000) and mentioning the group name (CBDNA) 3. Calling the toll free number (888,445,1517) and mentioning the group name (CBDNA)
They are guaranteeing the rate only through December 1st so please make every effort to reserve your room before then. I hope you will consider joining us in New London for a terrific day of professional development. For those that would also like to stay for the activities on Saturday you are welcome to stay the additional day at no cost.
Director of Bands
The Hartt School
University of Hartford